Ok, so I got out the stem (w/ knee) and the beginning of the transom…
After planing the transom, I wanted to use the belt sander to get it perfect. Then I realized, it’s getting cold out!
Now, let me explain some stuff…
First of all, the last major project I undertook was a 35′ boat that had to be built outside. So all of the sawing, power planing, grinding, sanding, etc., happened outside. After a couple of years, I got good at planning out the work to take the seasons into account (no major epoxy work in the winter, make sure the tent goes up for summer shade, etc.).
The dory is different, I wanted to build the boat indoors. My shop is only 12 x 16, so building a 12′ dory, that’s actually 15′ 6″ long (dories are measured on the bottom) is a challenge. More on that later.
But the first problem I faced in the last couple of weeks was sawdust! When it gets cold, I turn on my little electric heater, and I don’t want to go outside! But as you probably know, using a radial arm saw, power planer, etc., creates way too much dust to just “hurry up and get it over with”. So, over the last few weeks I’ve installed some vacuum ducting and just this weekend I built a small enclosure outside the shop for the shop vac. I haven’t worked on the boat very much!! There is light at the end of the tunnel though. I’ve got everything set up pretty much the way I want it at this point.
(I’ll dive into the whole vacuum / dust collection thing in my next post)…
About that 15’6″ boat in the 16′ shed…
Well, first I measured the diagonal between the far end of my large shed doors and the back corner. Yes, a 15’6″ will make it OUT the door (that’s the most important part).
Here’s how I retooled the shop for the dory:
- I got everything OUT of the shop (only 1 workbench stayed in place)
- Chalked a line on the diagonal, which is the space with the greatest length, then penciled it in so it wouldn’t disappear
- Made sure I could walk around the boat! (penciled in all the stations, especially the stem and transom)
- Left enough room on both ends to spring the planks in (I hope)
- Put some of the stuff I took out, back in the shed, -but left a LOT of stuff out. Lots of cleaning/sorting/throwing out stuff… Amazing the stuff I’ve collected over the years…
- Made sure everything has wheels (I am working on bandsaw mobility. There are a lot of neat tricks posted on the net…)
After all of this, I built some stands for the bottom of the boat and laid it in. I have one vertical support so far to push down on frame 2. All the other spots are sitting where they should. Will shore stuff up more when I get back to working on the boat.